Friday 23 February 2007




GOLF INSTRUCTION MANUALS - THROW THEM AWAY!!
We have come to a conclusion..
For the every day hacker, practice makes piss poor and golf manuals are a waste of time and money!!
There we are..we've said it and we are so glad to get it off our chests.

What is the point in hitting 100 balls on the range only to be improving that lovely chopping motion that other golfers snigger at!
Even if you start hitting it well on the range (and let's be honest, by laws of average you will do for at least 3 shots), by the time you stand on the 1st tee proper, you will be a gibbering wreck and worse than ever.

Read these manuals ...head still, not too strong a grip, left arm straight, mind the swing plane etc etc.
Good grief!!It's more complicated than nuclear physics!

Our advice is :

Stand over the ball

think of nothing

Just hit the damn thing

At Christmas time, someone at one of the on-line book companies must have been in festive mood.

Whilst I ordered "The Kama Sutra" to spice things up a bit at home and "Ben Hogan's Five Lessons - The Modern Fundamentals Of Golf" - purely as I've been having a wee bit of bother with the dreaded shanks, some smart arse changed the book covers round.

To cut a long story not so short, the wife was not too impressed as I attempted to keep my wrists fully cocked until just before impact and indeed threw me out of bed as I unwound my hips at followthrough.

And as for my actions on the 1st tee warming up?..well let's just say an extraordinary general meeting was called to discuss my actions and how I stayed off the sex offenders list remains a mystery!!!
Life can be sooo cruel sometimes!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd have to agree that the vast majority of golf instruction manuals are piss poor. But your advice to:
"Stand over the ball
think of nothing
Just hit the damn thing"
Sounds a but Dr Bob-ish. Might be worth gving some of his stuff (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/202-8437763-7383002?%5Fencoding=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=books-uk&field-author=Bob%20Rotella) a look.

(I am in now way affiliated with Bob Rotella, his publishers or Amazon. Just someone who has benefited from his books.)